vrijdag 28 mei 2010

Michiel Schuurman - Invitation

Schrank8 proudly presents its third exhibition. The cabinet will be invaded by the graphic beauty and terror of Michiel Schuurman.
You are invited for the opening on Friday June 11th, 17.00 - 20.00 hrs
Wagenaarstraat 331, Amsterdam

(Poster by Hansje van Halem)

Michiel and I met a couple of life times ago at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts in The Hague. We were in the same class. We were struggling with school and neither of us were sure if we wanted to become graphic designers when we were grown up.
Over the last decade, we've had countless beers and many talks about our ups and downs within graphic design and running our own business. We've always inspired each other, reflected on each other, worked with and for each other. When needed, we give each other the confidence or insecurity to be able to continue working.
From my perspective I can say that Michiel has reinvented himself a couple of times over the years. With childhood roots in graffiti and after adolescent flirts with photography and editorial aspirations, finally his career as a manager at a copy shop turned out to be the kick off to his life as a graphic designer. And a great one I might say... I collect his work and he collects mine. But I always keep his work locked up in drawers, to make sure I don't get too influenced.
For this occasion I'll break the rule and immerse my living room cabinet in his work.